Thursday, February 3, 2011

Slow Down Martha

Motherhood brings out the Martha in me.  I am always doing and going, racing to complete my agenda.  Ironically, there is no end to the agenda;  I simply continue adding more and more and more things to that to-do-list, until eventually I have to transfer the unfinished items over to a new, more legible to-do list.  I would love to be more of a Mary, to slow down and just "be" with my children, putting aside the agenda.  I am thankful for homeschooling and the way that it causes me to set aside a chunk of my day specifically to be with my children and to give them my undivided attention.  What a blessing it is to be able to homeschool and to have the opportunity to "be" with my children.   Albeit, “do school”did not escape the infamous to-do-list either but today I am going to at least be putting it at the top.
 
At the Home of Martha and Mary
Luke 10:38-42
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. ;-) And "do school" still always shows up on my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete